FREE Car Insurance Comparison
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
Liberty Mutual Car Insurance Company was founded in 1912, and offered its first automobile insurance policy in 1914. This company is unique because it is owned by the policyholders rather than the stockholders.
Although it’s initial focus was on liability insurance for workers, the car insurance department at Liberty Mutual has never been neglected.
Liberty Mutual is known for introducing innovative safety features to cars, such as safety belts and head rests, to help reduce the severity of anyone involved in a collision.
Liberty Mutual car insurance has offices in 45 states and in 14 countries nationwide and based in Boston, MA.
Compare car insurance quotes for FREE above simply by entering your ZIP code above!
How to buy liberty mutual car insurance?
Drivers can purchase Liberty Mutual from a local agent or through their online service. Payments are available in 12-month increments, monthly, or quarterly.
Liberty Mutual has a billing service that can draw your insurance payments through automatic deductions if you prefer.
Drivers who sign up for the online eService can manage all of their account information online, including policy changes and claim reports.
After-hours customer service representatives are available between 7:00 am and 11:00 pm Monday through Saturday, and from 9:00 am to 7:00 pm on Sundays.
Types of Car Insurance Coverage Available
Liberty Mutual Car Insurance policies include the coverage you need to meet the minimum requirements for your state, including liability, personal injury, and uninsured motorist.
Their collision coverage protects you when your car is involved in a rollover, or if your car is damaged after hitting any object.
Comprehensive coverage protects you from theft, vandalism, fire, hail, or any other damage that is caused by something other than a collision. Some optional coverage types offered by Liberty Mutual include:
- Better Car Replacement – With this optional coverage, Liberty Mutual will reimburse you for a totaled car with enough money to purchase a car that is one model year newer than your old one, or one that has 15,000 fewer miles than your old one had at the time of the accident.
- Mechanical Parts Replacement – If you choose to have your car repaired at a shop that is approved by Liberty Mutual, your replacement parts will be covered without any depreciation. The parts and the accident that caused the damage must be covered by your initial policy.
- Unlimited Rental Coverage – Depending on which state you live in, you can purchase optional rental car coverage through Liberty Mutual. This coverage will reimburse you for rental fees as long as you need to drive the rental car while your car is being worked on by an approved Liberty Mutual mechanic. Liberty Mutual must make all of the rental car arrangements in order to qualify for this insurance benefit, and you must purchase this coverage prior to your accident.
- Glass Coverage – Liberty Mutual will coordinate glass repairs at any location, including your workplace or your home if your safety glass is cracked or broken while you are carrying comprehensive coverage or glass coverage.
- Accident Forgiveness – If you maintain an accident-free record with Liberty Mutual for five consecutive years and do not have any traffic citations within the last three consecutive years, your premium will not be changed due to an accident. This coverage is not available in NC or CA, and the conditions and terms will vary depending on the state.
- Guaranteed Repairs – Any repairs that are performed at a Liberty approved repair facility carry a lifetime warranty. If you prefer, Liberty Mutual can arrange the repair work for you with one of their approved facilities.
Liberty Mutual Car Insurance Discounts
Liberty Mutual offers a wide number of car insurance discounts to qualifying drivers such as:
- Academic Discount – Anyone in the household who has a car insurance policy will be given a discount if a teenager living in the home maintains at least a B average on their report cards each semester.
- Multiple Policy Discount – Owning a home and car insurance policy through Liberty Mutual will earn you a 10 percent discount on your home insurance policy.
- Multiple Car Discount – Special savings are available for those who insure more than one car in the same household through Liberty Mutual.
- Special Group Savings – The Liberty Mutual Affinity Program includes more than 14,000 different organizations. If you are a member of any of these groups, you will receive a special discount on your car insurance. You will also receive a discount if you are employed by a group that is involved in the Affinity Program.
FREE Car Insurance Comparison
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
Liberty Mutual Customer Service Review and Industry Rankings
In a 2010 car insurance study, J.D. Power ranked Liberty Mutual car insurance with three out of five stars, which is considered relatively average overall. Their strongest category is pricing, with four out of five stars awarded.
In billing and payment, policy offerings, and customer communications the company maintains a steady average ranking compared to other insurance companies.
The AM Best car insurance rating company lists Liberty Mutual’s credit rating as excellent as of 2011, but the outlook on all financial fronts for the company is listed as negative.
Customers who have used Liberty Mutual fall in line with the company’s fair-to-average ranking results. Many customers are completely satisfied with the service and would recommend it without hesitation. Others list problems that they have had with customer service agents.
A common complaint is that the company can be difficult to communicate with, especially when dealing with a complicated accident claim.
Several customers mentioned that their claims were filed with incorrect information that caused their premiums to rise.
The number of negative comments almost exactly balances out the number of positive comments on most insurance review forums.
Positive customers specifically mention the affordability of Liberty Mutual’s car insurance, as well as the good service they received from their individual local agents.
Is liberty mutual the best car insurance company for you?
Liberty Mutual is a highly respected car insurance company with strong financial ratings and a very significant share of the car insurance market nationwide.
Any car insurance company of this size will have negative comments online so you need to simply spend time weighing the good and the bad of any potential auto insurance provider before selecting an insurer.
Very few car insurance companies have managed to attract the number of policyholders Liberty Mutual has and there has to be a good reason why customer keep coming back.
Get started with a car insurance comparison search today and compare car insurance companies nationwide to find a policy right for you. Simply enter your ZIP code below to get FREE car insurance quotes now!